Sunday, November 1, 2009

Tweeting, PowerPoint, and Knowing Your Audience

I've noticed a new trend in class. Tweeting about the professor's lecture effectiveness (i.e. all my student's say mine are great!). This is one of the reasons why I encourage my students to follow me, so I can review these later. I came by an article recently that suggested that it is important to know your audience and remember they might be tweeting while you present (not to mention the importance of updating your lame PowerPoints). So, this is a new way to heckle the professor without her or him knowing it. For me, the bigger challenge here is how to make your classes more technologically aware. I recently received a message from my daughter who was in her class at CU, the message was a question from her professor that encouraged the class to tweet, instant message, or text people they knew and ask them a question concerning meaning making and hermeneutics. Her class received almost 200 responses throughout the class period. Heather Buckley concludes, 'Presenters beware – twittering will be around for some time, if you have a large audience be sure you know them well and give them what they want. Even if you know all this and are a great presenter following your audience reaction on twitter can only be a good thing, feedback is a good thing and now it is happening real time' .

So, what do you think about tweeting while in a lecture? Or better, what would tweeting while in church offer pastors looking for feedback? On a related note, has anyone started using Twitter lists effectively? If so, point out some good examples. How could Twitter lists be used in Biblical Studies?

3 comments:

Michael R. Jones said...

I'm all for being technologically aware in the classroom and for using technology to supplement the classroom lectures but this is one area I have yet to find anything profitable.

There are enough distractions for professor and student alike without adding twitter into the mix. There's little difference between this and two people whispering to each other the entire lecture, sermon, etc.

DisciplesDialogue said...

During the last presidential election cycle, after each debate the news channels would report that they had "fact checked" the claims of both debaters and they would expose the blatant lies and the facts that were being spun for personal gain. Using technology in the classroom or Sanctuary allows students and worshippers to test the veracity of the claims of the speaker. This means there is more than one "expert" in the room.

Michael R. Jones said...

Pastor Dave:

I get what your saying, but most of the time when people hearing me speak have questioned my veracity, they would have understood my claims if they had simply paid attention to everything I said.

I won't even address the fact that being able to google doesn't make one an "expert."

Give the speaker full attention and google later.

btw, I wonder how much worship is really going on if one is tweeting and googling the whole time.

Multitasking just makes us stupid.