Sunday, September 6, 2009

Audio Lecture: English Grammatical Concepts for NT Greek


I just finished the audio of the lesson introducing English grammatical concepts that are important for learning NT Greek. It is the same PowerPoint from yesterday but this time I am taking you through the content. I was reminded yesterday, whilst reading a comment by Mark Goodacre, that you are inviting me in to speak to you and that should impact the way I speak in these lessons. So, hopefully I will keep them energetic but within the genre of the academically oriented-podcast. Also, I've begun working with the Internet Archive and may find this useful going forward. I've uploaded the PowerPoint for this blog entry there to see the way it works. Feel free to download it but it is quite a large file.


Let me know what you think and if you have suggestions please feel free to pass them on to me. Also, if you know of some good links for NT Greek that students should check out why not post them in the comments section below. Finally, the cartoon at the beginning of this blog post is from the Common English Grammar Mistakes blog.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Brian, It's great to see your blog expanding beyond book reviews--which are super helpful, but I've been eager to see your insights applied in different ways.

Since you mention the comment from Mark and are looking for suggestions, I'll mention a couple thoughts. I have to admit I think you're right in contemplating Mark's thoughts. I have found the presentations a little drab. I didn't feel excited about Greek while following along.

And the PowerPoint. There are lots of passionate views about ppt out there. I think it can be useful, but I'm not sure how much it adds if you read sentences verbatim. I think it maybe adds to the drabness.

Just a few thoughts, take 'em or dump 'em. I feel uncomfortable leaving critique, but maybe it might be helpful? Sorry for the negativity!

J. Brian Tucker said...

Pat,

I love critique, it is the only way to get better. Thanks for these thoughts. I will bounce around a few ideas that I have and see if I can make it work. I agree that the PPTs are too close in content to the spoken component. I'm trying to find ways to engage the Greek students out of class and maybe more image-oriented slides could accomplish some of that. Also, I resisted your challenge to enter the discussion about identity formation and boundaries with regard to female bloggers but I thought about it for a while and chose not to post on the topic but thanks for an interesting discussion.

Pat McCullough said...

Thanks for taking my comments with grace. No worries about "weighing in" on the boundaries of biblioblogging. I just wanted to highlight that I was stepping into some territory that was your expertise!